POSITION: President / CEO
DIRECT REPORT: Chair of the Chamber/Foundation Boards, Executive Committee
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Chamber/Foundation Board of Directors
The President/CEO shall be the chief executive officer of the Chamber and have general supervision over its work and employees. These responsibilities include the following:
1. Goals: Ensures that annual goals are adopted and is responsible to the Board of Directors for their implementation through the use of volunteers and staff.
2. Councils/Task Forces: Manages committee structure to ensure that goals are met with consistency and duplication of effort is avoided. Responsible for recommending alternative approaches to solving problems and serves as counsel to staff and all committees.
3. Policy: Initiates review of policies and subsequent policy recommendations to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for policy implementation and coordination.
4. Personnel (Staff): Recruits, hires, supervises, and terminates the staff of the Chamber. Conducts staff meetings, provides work assignments. The staff reports to the President/CEO.
5. Finance: Responsible for the accurate maintenance of financial records, enforcement of all fiscal policies, and shall cause an annual audit to be conducted. Ensures that an annual budget is prepared and approved and is responsible and accountable for the funds of the Chamber. Responsible for all staff salaries, and administration of fringe benefit programs. Examines alternative dues/non-dues sources of revenue.
6. Membership Maintenance: Responsible for directing the efforts of the Chamber to obtain new members and maintenance of membership. Reports investment accounts receivables which are over 90 days past due to the Board for action.
7. Record Keeping: Directs all phases including billing, recording, correspondence, personnel files, and maintenance of records.
8. Member and Public Relations: Approves all communications to members and the public as follows:
a. Correspondence: Responsible for preparing and directing preparation of all correspondence and ensures standards are maintained.
b. Official Publications: Responsible for the final approval of certain publications, editorials, etc. to ensure high quality of content.
c. News Releases: Responsible for preparing or directing preparation of articles and submitting factual material, contact with media and maintaining files for publicity.
d. Public Speaking: The President/CEO may represent the Chamber, may appear as witness, make public addresses. Serve as key point person for all areas of the business.
e. Governmental: Responsible for proper liaison with local groups and governmental bodies, keeps abreast of proposed legislation and local affairs affecting business. Address policies and legislation affecting the membership.
9. Standards of Quality & Integrity: Ensures that quality standards are adhered to in every project and action of the Chamber. Ensures that abusive language is not used. Makes every effort to ensure the image of the Chamber is of the highest.
10. Ensure quality team and internal customer interaction to achieve goals of Chamber.
11. Regional / Statewide / National: Build external partnerships, serve on committees and boards that enhance the Chamber’s mission and service to members. Buttressing/advancing the current conversation on regionalism led by Northeast Tennessee/Southwest Virginia Chambers, local governments, institutions, and partners.
12. Chamber Foundation: Serves as CEO of Chamber Foundation, and all relative functions and duties as requested by Chamber and Foundation Boards.
13. Other: Perform all other duties as the Chamber and Foundation Board of Directors may direct.